Filmversion des australischen Kultmusicals von Jimmy Chi, mit Ernie Dingo, Jessica Mauboy, Dan Sultan, Rolf Harris, Brendon Boney, Stephen Pigram, Bob Faggetter. Englische Originalversion.
SPECIAL FEATURES: The story of bran nue dae/ bran nue dae making of/ interviews/ film to storyboard comparison
In this lively musical comedy-drama set in the late 1960s, Willie (Rocky McKenzie) is a sixteen-year-old living in Broome, an Aboriginal community on the western coast of Australia. Willie is an easy-going kid who doesn't ask for much from life beyond enjoying time with his friends and getting a date with Rosie (Jessica Mauboy), a pretty girl who attends the same church. But Willie's mother thinks he should be following a more responsible path, and convinces him to transfer to a Catholic boarding school for boys in Perth. It doesn't take long for Willie to run afoul of Father Benedictus (Geoffrey Rush), the school's iron-willed headmaster, and Willie runs away. Stranded in Perth, Willie is befriended by Uncle Tadpole (Ernie Dingo), a streetwise character who lived in Broome as a youngster. Uncle Tadpole offers to help Willie get back home, and they hit the highway, hitch-hiking back to Broome and catching rides with a handful of colorful strangers, including Teutonic tourist Slippery (Tom Budge) and flower child Annie (Missy Higgins). But as Willie and Uncle Tadpole make their way across the continent, Father Benedictus is in hot pursuit, determined not to let a truant slip from his grasp.
- 1. BRAN NUE DAE (DAN SULTAN)
- 2. ALL THE WAY JESUS (JESSICA MAUBOY)
- 3. SEEDS THAT YOU MIGHT SOW (DAN SULTAN)
- 4. FEEL LIKE GOING BACK HOME (ERNIE DINGO)
- 5. LIGHT A LIGHT (JESSICA MAUBOY & BRENDON BONEY)
- 6. NOTHING I WOULD RATHER BE (BRAN NUE DAE CAST)
- 7. NYUL NYUL GIRL (DAN SULTAN)
- 8. BROOME LOVE THEME
- 9. LONG WAY AWAY FROM MY COUNTRY (ERNIE DINGO)
- 10. IS YOU MAH BABY (ERNIE DINGO)
- 11. SIX WHITE BOOMERS (ROLF HARRIS)
- 12. ZORBA'S DANCE
- 13. AFTERGLOW
- 14. LISTEN TO THE NEWS (ERNIE DINGO)
- 15. BLACK GIRL (DAN SULTAN)
- 16. STAND BY YOUR MAN (JESSICA MAUBOY)
- 17. NOTHING I WOULD RATHER BE (BRENDON BONEY & GEOFFREY RUSH)
- 18. ROAD MOVIE MEDLEY
- 19. CHILD OF GLORY (BOB FAGGETTER)
- 20. GOING BACK HOME (STEPHEN PIGRAM)
- 21. BRAN NUE DAE - MILLYA RUMARRA RECORDING (JIMMY CHI)
IT'S THE SUMMER OF 1969 AND YOUNG WILLIE (ROCKY MCKENZIE) IS FILLED WITH THE LIFE OF THE IDYLLIC OLD PEARLING PORT BROOME, IN THE NORTH OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA - FISHING, HANGING OUT WITH HIS MATES, AND WHEN HE CAN, HIS GIRL ROSIE. (JESSICA MAUBOY).
HOWEVER HIS MOTHER THERESA (NINGALI LAWFORD) HAS GREAT HOPES FOR HIM AND SHE RETURNS HIM TO THE RELIGIOUS MISSION IN PERTH FOR FURTHER SCHOOLING. AFTER BEING PUNISHED BY FATHER BENEDICTUS (GEOFFREY RUSH) FOR AN ACT OF YOUTHFUL REBELLION, WILLIE RUNS AWAY FROM THE MISSION. BUT TO WHERE..HE'S TOO ASHAMED TO GO HOME, IT WILL BREAK HIS MOTHER'S HEART. DOWN ON HIS LUCK HE MEETS AN OLD FELLA, WHO HE CALLS 'UNCLE' TADPOLE (ERNIE DINGO), AND TOGETHER THEY CON A COUPLE OF HIPPIES, ANNIE (MISSY HIGGINS) AND SLIPPERY (TOM BUDGE), INTO TAKING THEM ON THE 2,500 KM JOURNEY THROUGH SPECTACULAR LANDSCAPE BACK TO BROOME. WILLIE LEARNS THE HARD AND FUNNY LESSONS HE NEEDS TO GET HOME, ALL THE WHILE PURSUED BY FATHER BENEDICTUS.
FEATURES ALL THE MUSIC FROM THIS BLOCKBUSTER AUSTRALIAN MUSICAL!